Darkening of the underarm skins are the most undesirable conditions observed in men and women and sometimes it can land in embarrassing situations. Women, especially those who are fond of sleeveless dresses and tops very often feel uncomfortable in wearing their favorite outfits due to dark underarms. Though it is a very common skin condition observed in many that results due to the thick growth of underarm hair and excessive sweating which is very natural particularly in hot and humid places.
There is no confirmed reason for the dark underarms but some of the possible causes are listed below -
1. Too much friction of the underarm skin due to overweight
2. Women wearing tight blouses and tops constantly
3. Excessive sweating in the underarms
4. Formation of dead cell layers
5. Frequent shaving of the underarms
6. Using anti deodorants and antiperspirants
7. Infections due to bad hygienic habits
Apart from the above conditions hormonal changes, aging and pregnancy may also be the contributing factors of dark underarms.
There are several steps that really work well in lightening dark underarms, but the treatments and the methodologies should be continued for few weeks to get the desired effect as the changes can't take place overnight.
1. After washing and wiping the underarm, applying cider vinegar helps in lightening the underarms. One should not rinse after application and the process should be continued for couple of weeks.
2. The same result can be observed with a mixture of baking soda and apple cider vinegar. The paste should be applied after the fizzing stops and wash it off after drying.
3. Rubbing lemon in the underarms works in lightening the dark underarm, but the process takes time depending upon the skin conditions.
4. Mixture of 3 teaspoonfuls of lime juice and half cup of yoghurt when applied to the underarms also reduces the darkening.
5. Exfoliation of the underarm skin with products containing lactic acid removes the layers of dead cells reducing the darkening effects.
6. Instead of shaving, waxing can be done to remove the underarm hairs which will also help in reducing the darkness of the underarm skin.
7. Papaya also works well in lightening underarms. Applying a small portion of the fruit to the underarms gives the desired effect, but one has to continue the process patiently.
8. Reducing weight and avoiding sugars and carbohydrates do have some indirect effects in lightening the dark underarm skin.
9. Some deodorant sprays may cause darkening of the underarm skin, so it is wise to switch over to other deodorants which have bleaching properties.
10. Chemical bleaches sold over the counter can also be applied to reduce the darkening of underarm skin.