Receding gum is a major tooth ailment. When the gum outline and bone in the mouth recedes or moves backward, away from the teeth, the condition is referred to as receding gums. Receding gums expose the teeth roots, and make the teeth highly sensitive to hot or cold substances. The problem is also termed as gingival recession. The recession occurs due to the loss of gum tissues. The problem is common among middle aged people. The ailment does not occur overnight, but follows a gradual and lengthy process.
1. Inadequate, improper brushing and lack of hygienic sense may lead to the growth of bacteria in mouth. These bacteria produce enzymes that can dissolve the bone away from the teeth.
2. Aggressive scrubbing and brushing may cause the enamel at the gum line to wear away, thereby causing recession.
3. Self-induced vomiting
4. Gritting and grinding of teeth or Bruxism
5. Piercing of lips or tongue
6. Orthodontic movement of teeth
7. Sensitivity of teeth to SLS or sodium lauryl sulfate, found in most tooth pastes.
8. Tobacco dipping that destroys the mucus membrane in the mouth, and causes recession.
9. Periodontal diseases like inflammation of gums, plaque, gingivitis etc.
1. Sensitivity of teeth to external stimuli like hot, cold, sweet, sour substances.
2. Root of teeth becomes noticeable
3. Teeth appears to be longer than usual
4. Teeth color changes due to loss of enamel and cementum
5. Cavities are visible below the gum line
6. Spaces between teeth seem to increase
7. Bad breath
8. Bleeding of gums
9. Inflamed gums
These days' natural remedies are being preferred to the conventional forms of treatment. Some natural remedies for gum recession are listed here.
1. Intake of Vitamin C rich food items like grapefruit, kiwi, strawberry, oranges mango, papaya, broccoli, red pepper, and Vitamin C in the form of supplements can prove highly beneficial for any gum disease.
2. Consumption of Vitamin D rich diet can also give relief, for Vitamin D has anti inflammatory properties.
3. Reducing stress in life can check plaque, bleeding gums.
4. Tea tree oil fights against gum bacteria with its antibiotic properties. It is an effective home remedy for receding gums.
5. Cranberry juice also checks the growth of bacteria in mouth.
6. A mixture of propolis tincture and water helps in strengthening the roots of teeth.
7. Gargling with sea salt mixed with water is an excellent remedy.
8. Rinsing the mouth with herbal mouth wash before going to bed checks the growth of bacteria around receding gums.
9. A cup of green tea every day also keeps away bacteria from your mouth.
10. Smoking should be reduced.
11. Chewing of tobacco should be strictly avoided.