Menopause indicates the end of the reproductive ability of women. As women advances towards mid forties or early fifties the menstrual cycle stops signaling the end of the fertility. There occurs a drastic fall in the secretion of hormones like estrogen and progesterone and ovulation ceases. These hormones play a very important role in controlling other important functions of the body besides its reproductive function. Formation of bones, healthy functioning of the heart, liver and regulation of the body temperature are largely dependent on these hormones. So along with menopause various discomforting symptoms crop up which is natural and many women find it tough to cope up with these symptoms.
Menopause is not a disease but a start of a new phase of life that comes with the following symptoms.
1. Irritability and frequent mood swings
2. Sleep disturbances and hot flushes with night sweats
4. Pains in the joints
5. Depression and anxieties
6. Infection in the urinary bladder
7. Skin becomes dry losing its glow
Not all women experience these symptoms severely, while with some menopause can be extremely troublesome.
The underlying cause of menopause is due to the fall in the levels of estrogen and progesterone secreted by the ovaries. With aging the endometrium becomes thin due to hormonal fluctuations with a gradual cease in the menstrual cycle. Sometimes surgical removal of ovaries may bring in early menopause.
Since menopause is a natural phase in women's life, so it is obvious that the symptoms can be treated naturally.
1. Including food rich in phytoestrogens in diet like soy, tofu, oat meals, grains, almonds, soy sprouts, brown rice, wheat including fruits and vegetables reduces the menopausal symptoms.
2. One should strictly avoid caffeine and carbonated beverages that triggers bone loss.
3. Cutting the intake of processed food and meat like beef, chicken and pork helps in tackling the menopausal symptoms.
4. Another useful home remedy for menopause is yoghurt. One should increase the intake of yoghurt as it is rich in "good bacteria" that helps in fighting against infections.
5. The herb chaste berry is a useful health tonic for women as it nourishes the pituitary gland which releases many essential hormones of the endocrine system.
6. One of the effective home remedies for menopause is Black Cohosh. Extracts of Black Cohosh is highly effective in reducing night flushes, dryness and even controlling the stress.
7. The herb Red clover is rich in isoflavones that resemble estrogens which helps in reducing the symptoms of menopause.
8. The herb Dong Quai helps in maintaining the hormonal levels and also enhances the functions of Vitamin E in the body. It is an effective home remedy for menopause.
9. Regular physical workouts maintain the normal condition of the health after menopause. It improves the bone density, cardiovascular functions and uplifts the mood.