Heartworm is a parasitic thread-like worm residing mainly in the lung arteries of the host. The worm is called Dirofilaria immitis, and it attacks mainly the dogs, cats, wolves, foxes, ferrets. Even humans can fall prey to heartworms, but it is a very rare happening. The worm is transmitted from one host to another by means of a mosquito bite. Mosquito plays an important role in completing the life cycle of the worm. Once the dog is bitten by the mosquito, and the larva is left or deposited at the site of mosquito bite, it takes 6 to 7 months for the larva to mature in to adult heartworm. This time period is referred to as prepatent period.
The larva, after molting in to advanced stages, travel from the site of bite to the muscles of chest and abdomen of the host. Further after about 12o days from the day of infection, the immature adult form enters in to the blood stream only to reach the heart and make room in the pulmonary artery. It grows in size, and becomes a full fledged adult within 3 to 4 months. The length of female worms is about 30 cm, while males are about 23 cm. Mating takes place between male and female, and micrifilariae are born.
If the host is bitten by a mosquito at that time, another life cycle starts. However the young ones wait for at least two years in the gut of the mosquito, and a new life cycle begins if the mosquito bites another host after the period of two years. The transmission is favored by warm climates, and the process may come to a halt if temperature drops below 14 degree Celsius. These parasites destroy the lung vessels and tissues and slowly render the heart incapable of functioning, and under severe conditions can even pose threat to the life of the host.
4. Congestive heart failure
5. Fatigue and exhaustion
7. Exceptional weight loss
9. Coughing up blood
1. Garlic is an excellent anti microbial. It can eliminate parasites from the body.
2. Licorice improves lung health and the functioning of immune system.
3. Hawthorn is a natural antioxidant strengthening heart muscles.
4. Grapefruit seed extracts can fight effectively against parasites.
5. Another useful home remedy for heartworm is black seed. It is anti parasitic, and improves the functioning of respiratory system.
6. Black walnut tincture made out of extracts of clove, wormwood, hawthorn berry, garlic can cleanse the system of parasites.
7. Nutritional diet can help your pet to improve, and overfeeding should be avoided.
8. Routine based de worming can cut down the risk of heartworm infestation.
9. Processed, refined food items are to be avoided.
10. Food items like scrambled egg, yoghurt, cottage can improve appetite to a large extent.
11. Regular exercise will improve heart health and the functioning of circulatory system.