Gall bladder, the pear shaped organ located in the right side of the body just under the liver, functions in co-ordination with the liver in releasing the bile. Bile is full of toxins and is flushed out of the body through the small intestine. The bile secreted from the liver constitutes bile salts, cholesterol, lecithin and other chemicals, and an abnormally high concentration of these results in the formation of galls stones. Gall bladder thus acts as a "scavenger" by eliminating all the harmful wastes of the digestive process from the body. The gall stones are mostly formed from cholesterol while some pigment stones may be found containing calcium salts whose size can be as small as sand grains or larger than the size of the pea.
The gall bladder stores bile that is produced by the liver, which plays a vital role in our digestive system. It is placed under the liver and is located on the right side of the abdomen. Bile helps in the digestion of fat, and it takes place in the small intestine. Bile is made up of bile salt, proteins, water, cholesterol, fats and bilirubin, which is a waste product. The gall bladder gets inflamed when there is too much of cholesterol or bilirubin or bile salts in the bile that it stores. Improper diet which contains excessive fats and less of fiber is the main cause of gallstones. Gallstones can be treated at home by using the natural home remedies for gallstones.
The gallstones result in the inflammation of the gall bladder which is accompanied by symptoms like -
1. Severe pain in the upper right side of the abdomen spreading to the chest.
2. Fever, nausea and vomiting.
3. Pain below the sternum that can last from 30 minutes to several hours.
4. Discoloration of the urine.
5. Occasional chills.
6. Yellowish appearance in the skin and the eyes.
When the gall bladder fails in complete drainage of the bile or contains high concentration of cholesterol and bilirubin, it accumulates and forms cholesterol stones and pigment stones. Other factors that also contribute to the gall stone formation especially the cholesterol stones are -
2. High estrogen levels due to pregnancy, intake of contraceptive pills or due to Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
3. Gender, women being more prone to gallstones than men
Most people suffering from gallstones go for surgical interventions which end up in removing the gall bladder along with the stones, totally being unaware of the natural curative methods of this disease. Below are some useful home remedies for gallstones.
The most important thing to do if you have gallstones is cleaning your entire system by drinking lots of water. Drink water according to your body weight to remove all the toxins from your body. It also helps in removing the cholesterol. One of effective home remedies for gallstones is including vitamin C in your daily diet. You can take about 1000/day of vitamin C as it helps in converting cholesterol into bile. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables 7-8 servings per day.
Painful bile and inflammation of the gallbladder can be treated by eating pears or drinking its juice as many times as possible, in a day. One of the home remedies for gallstones is drinking the juice of beet root. Beet juice helps in cleaning the gallbladder and is also effective in clearing obstructions in the bile duct. You have to drink 100 ml of the juice twice daily. Similarly even carrot juice is very effective in curing the problem. All you have to do is drink 100 ml of carrot juice two times a day.
Drinking 30 ml of olive oil on an empty stomach and then drinking either lemon juice or grape juice every day, is one of the most result oriented natural home remedies for gallstones. You have to take these 2 drinks for quite a few weeks to get good results. You can apply hot packs on the affected area to get relief from the pain. Besides this you can apply the pack on the adjoining areas like upper abdomen and back to feel relieved. You can take enema along with water to remove any fecal obstruction in the bile duct.
You have to drink 125 ml of dandelion juice daily. And in case you have polyps in the gall bladder or any other symptoms then mix watercress with the dandelion juice. One of the most effective home remedies for gallstones is to grind and consume chicory - roots, flowers and seeds. Chicory takes care of the overall health of all the bile producing organs. It helps in curing cancer too. Follow a regular exercise routine as it improves blood circulation and prevents any type of blockage. Preventing cholesterol should be your main objective. And if you already have it, avoid all those foods that cause it and see to it that the cholesterol level is brought under control.
1. Alfalfa herb is very useful herbal remedy in treating gallstones as it detoxifies the liver as well as supplies the essential vitamins and minerals.
2. Leaves of Artichoke herb contains caffeoylquinic acid that helps in increased bile secretion and dissolves the fat and cholesterol responsible for the gall stone formation.
3. Consuming a mixture of apple juice and lemon juice continuously for three days breaks down the gall stones which are eliminated through the urine. It is an effective home remedy for gallstones.
4. Drinking a mixture of 1 tea spoon apple cider vinegar in apple juice reduces the gall stone pains quickly.
5. Turmeric is highly beneficial in preventing as well as treating gallstones.
6. One should avoid non-vegetarian protein foods and go for vegetarian foods in case of gall bladder stones.
7. Juices of carrot, beets, pears, lemons, grapes are very helpful in treating gallstones.