Suffering from Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is most common in women in their reproductive ages. Both beneficial and harmful bacteria reside in the vagina and when the harmful bacteria outgrow the beneficial one, it results in Bacterial Vaginosis. Previously it was known as the condition called Gardnerella vaginitis after the name of the bacteria associated, but later studies revealed the contribution of many other bacteria residing in responsible for BV. This is not a serious infection and can be controlled easily, but if left untreated can cause pelvic inflammation and pose serious problems especially in pregnant women.
According to studies more than 50% women do not feel any symptoms of BV, but the most common symptoms are:
1. Severe itching in the area with burning sensation.
2. Increased amount of white discharge.
3. Unpleasant and strong fishy smell in the area.
Although Bacterial Vaginosis falls under the category of STDs, but in most cases the infection is not very serious. The infection occurs due to the overgrowth of the harmful bacteria in the due to the following reasons.
1. Frequent lovemaking that alters the pH level in the .
2. Due to multiple love partners.
3. Too much moisture in the area.
4. Prolonged use of some antibiotics that disturbs the bacterial balance.
Bacterial Vaginosis can be cured through natural remedies and that too in a short span of time.
1. One should adopt healthy diet consisting fruits, vegetables, seeds, grains and nuts among which flax seeds deserve special mention.
2. Eating plenty of yoghurt or applying it in the affected area restores the balance of the beneficial bacteria lactobacillus reducing the symptoms of BV.
3. Too much sweet and sugar must be avoided as the bacteria thrives on feeding sugar.
4. Brown rice and oat meals are highly beneficial in fighting this disease.
5. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of garlic help in reducing BV either by application or by taken internally.
6. By adding few cups of apple cider vinegar in the bath water and douching for few minutes is an effective home remedy for bacterial vaginosis.
7. Douching with herbs like tea tree oil, calendula, black walnut, goldenseal and Echinacea is recommended in curing BV.
8. Application of a tea bag soaked in water and cooled in refrigerator is good in treating bacterial vaginosis.
9. Use of cotton undergarments is recommended as it prevents the build up of moisture.
10. Taking folic acid supplements also helps in reducing the symptoms of this disease.
11. Another useful home remedy for bacterial vaginosis is the herb Tracheal. Drinking tea made from Tracheal herb helps in eliminating bacteria and other parasites out of the body thus reducing the symptoms of BV.
12. Smoking and drinking should be stopped to get rid of BV.