High blood pressure or Hypertension is a serious medical condition during which the pressure of blood in the arteries rises. Elevation of blood pressure (BP) exerts tremendous pressure or force on the artery walls, and damages the body in many ways. A patient with high BP runs the risk of falling prey to cardiac failures, kidney failures, strokes, loss of vision and heart disease.
High BP may be classified as primary and secondary. For primary high blood pressure, there is no specific medical cause. About 90% people suffer from the primary type. Secondary blood pressure is caused due to other chronic medical conditions affecting vital organs. The BP reading 140/90 is an example of high BP.
1. Hardening of arteries due to aging.
2. Heredity is a prominent cause of high BP.
4. Sedentary lifestyle
5. Sensitivity to sodium found in common salt.
6. Consumption of alcohol
7. Under the impact of certain medications like diet pills, contraceptive pills, stimulants etc.
High blood pressure has no specific symptom, and is therefore often termed as 'silent killer'. Patients often do not even know that they have high BP until it is measured. Some with very high BP may suffer from headache, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, blurred vision, palpitation and chest pain, nosebleeds.
1. Garlic powder thins the blood, and can therefore check high BP.
2. Hawthorn is useful herbal remedy used to check high blood pressure.
3. Fish oil is capable of lowering BP because it contains an ingredient DHA (Docohexaenoic acid).
4. Folic acid reduces blood pressure.
5. Low fat diet, food with limited sodium content, fresh fruits and vegetable are necessary to keep BP under control.
6. Stress reduction, yoga and free hand exercise are very essential.
7. Juice of fresh Indian gooseberry or amla mixed with honey is an effective natural remedy.
8. Another useful natural remedy for high blood pressure is watermelon seeds. Powder made by grinding watermelon seeds is very helpful for lowering BP.
9. Lemon juice mixed with water can give immediate relief from high BP.
10. A teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in empty stomach can bring relief from high BP.
11. Eating of basil and neem leaves daily in empty stomach can be useful home remedy for high blood pressure.
12. Papaya is an effective natural BP lowering fruit.
13. Spiegel seeds mixed with curd are a good natural remedy.
14. A powdered mixture made out of fennel seeds, cumin seeds and sugar is capable of lowering BP.