Allergy is a very common disorder noticeable in humans. When our immune system fails to function properly, it results in hypersensitivity in the form of allergy. The substances that may cause allergy are called Allergens. Allergic reactions start when a person having allergy is exposed to the respective allergen. Allergens may come in the form of dust, food, medicines, pollens, molds, insect bites etc. These allergens however will not affect a person who is not allergic to these.
How does allergy start?
When a person comes in contact with the triggering factor or allergen, it combines with the allergic antibodies contained in the allergic cells of the person's body. The cells containing such antibodies include Mast cells (hyper active WBC s or White Blood Cells) and basophiles. Immediately a chemical reaction starts producing chemicals like histamines and leukotrienes. These chemicals are responsible for the allergic symptoms.
Symptoms of allergies
There is a wide range of symptoms for allergies. Some may be obvious while others not so obvious. However the common symptoms of allergic reactions could be fever, running nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, wheezing, coughing, dark circles under eyes, sore throat, swelling of face, tongue, and lips, itchy skin rashes, eyelid rashes, eczema, breathing trouble, rapid heart beat, nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure, cramping, diarrhea, losing the power of smelling and tasting due to nasal congestion etc.
Now a day the immense potential of herbs are being recognized to treat almost every ailment. For treating allergies also there can be several herbal remedies. Some are
Listed as follows -
1. Consumption of tea may help to fight Hay fever.
2. Eucalyptus by means of steam inhalation can reduce nasal congestion.
3. Ginger is an antimicrobial reducing inflammation.
4. Licorice root too acts as an antimicrobial agent, reducing inflammation.
5. Sinus problems can be tackled with the help of Nettle extracts.
6. Castor oil is helpful to combat skin allergies, nasal blockade, and intestinal tract allergies.
7. Lime juice mixed with Luke warm water can act as a very good anti allergic agent.
8. Consumption of Honey can make the body resistant to allergies.
9. Garlic is an effective medicine to reduce nasal congestion, cough, and sinus problems.
10. Green Tea reduces the production of histamine, a chemical causing allergy.
11. Capsaicin contained in chili pepper helps in tackling the problem of running nose and inflammation.
12. The astringent property in Lemon Grass leaves can soothe itchy skin rashes.
13. Fennel seeds are capable of curing digestive disorders.
14. Lavender flowers are useful to cure skin burns and rashes.
15. Also Calendula flowers are capable of curing fever, toothache and skin rashes.