Shiny and healthy nails are perfect adornments of our fingers which gives a neat and beautiful look to our hands and feet. Brittle, unpolished, pitted and edgy nails bounded by deformed cuticles destroy the beauty, and often it is a reflection of some internal disorder in the body system.
Women busy in regular chores throughout the day seldom pay attention to their nails or take proper care of them. The result may lead to painful infections deforming the nails. A healthy nail sports a pale pink hue but the texture and color may differ due to some factors. Adopting few healthy measures through reformed diet and habits, one can save the expenditure of frequent salon trips.
Ideal foods for healthy nails
1. Foods rich in Vitamin A like carrots, broccoli, apricots and fruits and those rich in calcium like milk, yoghurt, cheese and almonds prevents the brittleness of the nails. Calcium also promotes nail growth.
2. Plenty of water and fruit juices keep the nail hydrated. Fresh carrot juice which is rich in both phosphorus and Vitamin A functions best for the healthy nails.
3. One should include raw and fresh fruits and vegetables in daily diet as much as possible. These are rich in various minerals and enzymes that keep the cuticles and the nails healthy.
4. Food rich in sulfur and silicon such as fish, broccoli and onions are good for the nails.
5. Biotin rich foods such as soy, grains and brewer's yeast also facilitate the healthy growth of nails.
6. Whole grains, leafy vegetables, prunes and liver are rich in Iron. Eating these foods regularly prevents the ridges in the nails and the brittleness.
7. Zinc supplements through a glass of milk and hard boiled eggs are necessary for good health of the nails and prevent the white spots.
8. Herbal tea out of nettle and oat straw also strengthens the nails. Seems unbelievable isn't it?
Modification of life style and habits with proper care of the nails
Apart from food habits, cleanliness and maintenance of hygiene must also be modified that will take good care of the nails. Toe nails are prone to bacterial and fungal infections, so it demands extra care for the healthy condition.
1. Having frequent nail baths using natural oils like coconut oil, olive oil and palm kernel oils helps in maintaining the good health of the nails.
2. While washing kitchen utensils and appliances or scrubbing bathrooms, floors it is always advisable to wear hand gloves that prevent the breaking and chipping of the nails and protects them from the chemical effects of the cleaners.
3. Nails must be wiped clean and dry after the work to prevent fungal and bacterial infections.